Anno accademico 2012/2013
- Codice dell'attività didattica
- Prof. Alessandro Corsi (Affidamento interno)
- Insegnamento integrato
- SSD dell'attività didattica
- AGR/01 - economia ed estimo rurale
To provide students with an economic approach to environmental issues in agriculture
Risultati dell'apprendimento attesi
Students will achieve the analytical tools to interpret agri-environmental issues in an economic perspective; they will be able to discuss in this framework agricultural and agri-environmental policies of the EU.
Revision of basic economics. Market as an efficient resource allocation mechanism. Pareto optimum. Efficiency and equity. Kaldor-Hicks compensation principle. Market failures: public goods, externalities, open access resources. Externalities. Externalities as a reason for not reaching a social optimum. Optimal level of externalities. Policy interventions on externalities: market, standards, taxes, subsidies, marketable permits. Public goods. The economic measurement of benefits from public goods. Valuation methods of the benefits of public goods. Agriculture and environment. Positive and negative externalities associated to agricultural production. Structural and technical evolution of agriculture and its impact on environment. Sustainable agriculture and multifunctional agriculture. The Common Agricultural Policy and the environment. Agro-environmental measures and the greening of the CAP.
Testi consigliati e bibliografia
A general textbook on Environmental economics, not too technical:
- Pearce D.W, Turner K.R., Economics of Natural Resources and the Environment, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 1990
More specific on agriculture:
- Zilberman D., Marra M., Agricultural Externalities, in G.A. Carlson, D. Zilberman and J.A. Miranowski (eds) Agricultural and Environmental Resource Economics, New York, Oxford University Press, 1993